Form Follows Function
Wind-swept fields and towering arches served as points of inspiration for the more svelte lines and thoughtfully distilled design of the Alexia V. Alexia V's enclosures are crafted from more exotic and proprietary materials. Included in these handcrafted enclosures are: the latest versions of X-Material & S-Material, V-Material strategically nested throughout it's form, carbon-fiber, aerospace grade aluminium, austenitic stainless steel, and gold connections throughout the entire signal path. Each element has been carefully chosen and optimised for its distinctive role in extraordinary sound reproduction.
V-Material is nested in the top of the woofer and midrange for increased vibration mitigation and control. By using X-Material throughout all three modules, and methodically refining the internal bracing and panel thickness, Wilson Audio's Engineers have enhanced enclosure damping to a new standard for this product category. Wilson's research has found S-Material to be a superior material option for midrange driver coupling and provides an open and accurate sonic presentation.
Exhaustive research into Alexia's time alignment capabilities yielded results that have lead to every driver being better aligned with each other and more on-axis with the listener. From your recordings you will experience more resolved micro-details and tighter time alignment accuracy at all listening positions.
Sculpted to blend with the new form and increase structural integrity, the midrange enclosure alignment bridge better reinforces the module's external frame and is a more massive construction using a combination of X-material and aluminium. A delicate balance is formed within the lines of Alexia V. In some areas mass was increased while in others material was removed. The cutout that reduces unwanted pressure between the midrange and woofer enclosures found on top of the Sasha DAW® woofer blades is now a part of Alexia V. The more aerodynamic looking tweeter module has been reshaped to comfortably house the larger Convergent Synergy Carbon™ tweeter.
First introduced in the Alexx V, Wilson's Convergent Synergy Carbon (CSC) tweeter now finds a new place in the Alexia V. This unique and complex carbon-fiber rear-wave chamber is constructed entirely in-house on one of Wilson's many dedicated 3D printers. Listening to the results of this special tweeter, one can't help but get lost in its ability to present an unprecedented level of ambient retrieval and exceptional harmonic expression.
The Integration of the tweeter and midrange is an absolutely critical element to accurate sound reproduction. Originally, when Alexia Series 2 was introduced, it utilised the same cellulose fiber/carbon composite midrange unit as found in the WAMM Master Chronosonic®. This midrange has served Alexia well over the years. After extensive experimentation and system refinements, the Alnico (Aluminium-Nicker-Cobalt) QuadraMag™ has been successfully incorporated into the design and selected as the main midrange for the Alexia V. First developed for the Chronosonic XVX®, the QuadraMag midrange provides a tonally rich and life-like sound.
Each custom capacitor used in both Alexia V's crossovers has been wound and finished at Wilson Audio's in-house capacitor manufacturing department. (Reliable Capacitors®). These unique capacitors are made to industry leading tight tolerances. The AudioCapX-WA™ capacitors, along with fine-tuning in the crossover topology, have contributed to a new standard in low level loudspeaker resolution.
Modifications made in the crossover slightly improved the impedance measurement of 2.59 Ω at 84 Hz from 2.54 Ω. Alexia V's sensitivity measurement has also improved by +1dB over that found in Alexia Series 2.
Wilson Audio's bespoke binding posts create a cleaner signal path at its point of contact. Both banana plug and traditional spade connections can be used with this binding post. Additionally, the new spades, previously only found on the Chronosonic XVX and Alexx V, are optimised to couple precisely with the binding posts. New custom built cables connecting everything inside Alexia V provides a balanced and beautiful sounding signal path.
Excellence in All Things
Wilson Audio's engineering team is always evaluating and refining major hardware components in the search for breakthroughs that serve the music. A few more of the upgrades found in Alexia V:
- Included with Alexia V is a complete set of Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode™, an all-new spike system launched with Alexx V, which has been completely upgraded from their standard spike system, and features a novel combination of austenitic stainless steel and V-Material. This coupling system was created by Wilson Audio's Special Applications Engineering® (WASAE) division and has superlative vibration management that reveals far greater dynamic nuances across the entire frequency spectrum.
- Resistor mounting hardware is now attached to carbon-fiber and angled in such a way for a more beautiful presentation and ease to work with.
- The improved and aesthetically appealing external cable dressing solution.
- A new stylised alignment "staircase" block has been developed for ease of visibility during installation.
- The woofer port has been improved to increase laminar flow.
- Mid enclosure internal volume was increased 6.4% to allow a more open sounding midrange. The woofer enclosure internal volume in now 8.9% larger compared with Alexia Series 2 creating deeper flow frequency reproduction and faster transient settling.
- Refined internal midrange wave diffusers allow faster midrange settling.
- There is now an integrated Bubble level on top of the woofer cabinet which makes levelling the loudspeaker much easier and more convenient.
Alexia V Specifications
|Nominal Impedance:||4Ω / Minimum 2.59 Ω @ 84 Hz|
|Sensitivity:||90 dB @ 1m @ 1k|
|Frequency Response:||19 Hz - 33 kHz +/- 3 dB|
|Minimum Amplification Power Recommended:||20 watts / channel|
|Woofer: (20.32cm) Cone Material:||Paper Pulp|
|Woofer: (25.4cm) Cone Material:||Paper Pulp|
|Midrange: (17.78cm) Cone Material:||Paper Pulp Composite|
|Tweeter: Dome (2.54cm) Material:||Doped Silk Fabric|
|- Enclosure Type|
|Woofer: (Rear Ported) Material:||X-Material|
|Midrange (Rear Vented) Material:||X-Material / S-Material Baffle|
|Tweeter: (Sealed) Material:||X-Material|
|Damping Inserts: Material:||X-Material|
|- Woofer Top / Midrange Top / Acoustic Diodes|
|Height:||134.86 cm w/spikes|
|Weight per Channel Uncrated:||120.20 kg|
|Approximate Shipping Weight:||360.61 kg|
Contact us for more info...